   RE: [xml-dev] Linking global context

Just so.  In the world of appearances,
the world of signs, all signs have an origin.

The practice of observation imparts awareness
of the ceaseless churning both within and
without.  This awareness of awareness becomes
self.  That is a kind of birth.  To become
free of birth is to become aware of the way
to be without struggle.  That is the meaning (IMO)
of the more we say, the less we know or he who
speaks does not know, he who knows does not
speak.  Our sign systems are karmic or sticky
and bind us.   We can refuse some bindings.
Otherwise, we would still gencode everything.
Yet, we use syntax-based markup.  Why? It is
the least commitment, but strong enough to make
the act of committing more committed.

I do not claim one can be without origin, or
belong without commitment.  But we do have the
power of choosing who chooses our choices.

Ok, I guess I am ready to be committed.  Nurse,
bring me my sedatives. :-)

len

From: John Cowan [mailto:jcowan@reutershealth.com]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> The lesson of the Buddha is not one of
> magical realization, but of the simple
> and achievable human realization that one
> can trancend the network of ones' habits,
> go beyond the tools that are our sign systems
> to real inner directed choice.

Perhaps so.   But even the Buddha had to be born
Siddhartha, a member of a community, or rather a set
of communities: family, city, principality.  Without
that anchor he would be not Buddha but Kaspar Hauser.

"For the word to be spoken, there must be silence.  Before, and after."
	--Ged

"Has the expression 'birthlessness' any meaning whatsoever?"
	--One of the Zen masters, I forget whom