   RE: [xml-dev] what parsers support xml schema

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Two points
>  1.) XQuery's type system used to be based on regular tree grammars
> but this is no longer the case working group since they adopted W3C
> XML Schema as the basis of its type system. Now XQuery's data model is
> primarily based on named typing where the named types are W3C XML
> Schema types.

Their processing is based fully on regular tree grammars, the restrictions
such as 1-unambiguity and single type tree grammar has no relationship to
XQuery what so ever, to the best of my knowledge.

> 2.) Many vendors support the W3C and W3C XML Schema including IBM,
> Microsoft, Altova, Oracle, Sun, Tibco and the Excelon Corporation.
> These are just the companies I know off the top of my head, I'm sure
> if I did research I could name more. By the way, most people using
> SOAP, WSDL and XML web services are using W3C XML Schema directly or
> indirectly.

Yes, all I can say is they should also start supporting RELAX NG. Sitting
from academic front at this time, I have to decide between using what I
know is understandable and can be taught to students versus industry
pressure. It is a difficult choice probably, but several researchers have
chosen not to yield to industry pressure. It is sad that unlike relational
model where industry and academy (IBM and Berkeley) were in step, XML
schema, there is a big difference, right at the start.

Almost all the companies I have talked to say: "Wish XML Schema was not
like this". The compromise seems to be between correctness versus
industrial investment on an immature technology during the boom.. I think
the compromise at this point of time seems to be that industries support
both RELAX NG and W3C XML Schema, pressuring from the beginning will just
widen the gap..

<warning>speaking for himself only</warning>

cheers and regards - murali.