   Re: [xml-dev] [Fwd: The problems with Xlink for integration languages]

At 1:56 AM -0400 9/17/02, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

>With great respect to Jeni, I think that something has gotten lost here (I
>do not mean in her example, just the whole discussion the way it has
>developed).    If xhtml is supposed to be a replacement or follow-on to more
>or less replace html,  then its hyperlinks MUST BE SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND AND
>USE.  Or at least, ordinary everyday hyperlinks must be.  Otherwise this new
>facility will not get used, or it will be used wrongly and sour the majority
>of web page developers on using it - back to html 4.0, at least it works and
>we can understand it.

Absolutely. However, please don't fall into the trap of assuming that
XLink has to be as complex as some of the examples in this thread.
Perhaps out of ignorance, perhaps deliberately, these are much
nastier than they would have to be in practice. For instance, a basic
img (Excuse me, object) element might look like this:

<object xlink:href="http://www.example.com/image.jpg";
         width="100" height="100" other_non_linking_attributes="..."/>

That's all. xlink:type and the namespace declaration would be
defaulted in from the DTD. The DTD would be built into web browsers
which would recognize the public identifier for XHTML 2.0. The other
link attributes would be either defaulted or ignored. XLink does
allow applications to define their own semantics and behavior for
links, and to ignore or change the behavior suggested by attributes
like xlink:show.

The only objection I've seen so far to XLink that is not based on
fundamental misunderstandings of XLink is the desire to put multiple
link attributes on a single element instead of using extended links.
I'm sympathetic to this position. But even here, there might be a
middle ground. An element such as object can contain multiple simple
link elements rather than all the extended link locator, arc, label
fru-fru. For example,

<object width="100" height="100" other_non_linking_attributes="...">
   <source xlink:href="http://www.example.com/MyImage.jpg"/>
   <longdesc xlink:href="http://www.example.com/description.html"/>
   <map xlink:href="http://www.example.com/map.txt"/>
   <alt>
     In this scheme we can put a <strong>lot</strong> of markup here.
   </alt>
</object>

I think this is pretty straight-forward, pretty easy to type, and in
many ways much cleaner than the current approach.