   Re: [xml-dev] OT: Hundred Flowers (WAS: RE: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS:

Mike Haarman scripsit:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Mike Champion wrote:
>
> > Or better yet, since the notion of interoperable
> > API standards is so unfashionable these days, let a hundred
> > refactorizations of DOM/JDOM/dom4j/proprietary APIs bloom,
> > create an ecology of competing codes, and let Father Darwin sort
> > them out.
>
> You mean send them to the re-education farms?  Just doing my part to nip
> this meme in the bud.
>
> It's too bad, really.  Such a nice turn of phrase.  And so well spoken.

Well, lots of phrases have life quite independent of their original context.
"More honored in the breach than in the observance" is now usually used to
mean "more *often* honored", whereas the original context (_Hamlet_)
plainly meant "more *fitly* honored".  And the "still, small voice" of
conscience, in its original biblical context was a voice saying
"Don't worry, all those who worship Baal will be liquidated quite shortly."

--
John Cowan                              jcowan@reutershealth.com
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.reutershealth.com