   RE: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Furthermore attempts at static guarantees tend to give undesirable results once XML Schema features like type derivation and substitution groups enter the picture.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Michael Kay [mailto:michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com]
	Sent: Thu 10/3/2002 11:22 AM
	To: 'J.Pietschmann'; 'Jeni Tennison'
	Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
	Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

	> I just had an example where writing
	> select="output" instead of select="outputs/output" had cost
	> me two full days :-\.

	I think that catching what I call "void path expressions" is one of the
	big potential advantages of binding a stylesheet to a schema.
	Unfortunately, while a lot of the type inferencing machinery is in place
	to do it, the last few links in the chain aren't there yet. In
	particular, it can only work in a template rule that is associated
	firmly with a schema type. So long as you are allowed to construct
	non-valid temporary trees and then process them using the same template
	rules as you use for the source document, there's no way of knowing
	statically what path expressions are guaranteed to be void.

	Michael Kay