   RE: [xml-dev] Java package for XPath 1.0

Dear All,
First, I would like to thank for the instant response.

The new features in this implementation package can be divided into
two categories. Originally this package was meant to be used only
within the CLaRK System, so some of the features are dependent
on the whole system.

1. Extended features (only) in the system:
   - New axis 'document' which can be used to make queries
     in external documents.*
        - New node tests for using multiple documents querying.
          This includes filtering documents by name, by groups
          in which documents belong to. Also documents from
          ranges of groups and subgroups.(Note: 'document' and
          'group' are notions from the CLaRK system)*

   - Text queries using the Regular Expression technology
   used in the CLaRK system. This includes not only
   regular expressions over separate characters, but on whole
   words or types of words. In the word descriptions we allow
   using wildcards similar to these used in the file systems
   ('@' - substitutes exactly one character, '#' - substituted
   any number of characters);

   * - this feature is included in the version of CLaRK system
   which soon will be released.

2. Extended feature supported by the XPath package

   Variable usage. We provide a mechanism for assigning certain
   values to variables and use them in other XPath queries. One
   advantage of this is, that it allows selecting certain values
   (nodes, strings, etc.) which are outside the current context,
   but the condition for selecting is dependent on the current
   context. Let's take a look at the following example: We are
   at a certain point in a document where there is a certain term.
   In other place in the same document there is a dictionary with
   definitions for all terms. The problem is that the definition of
   the given term can not be selected by the standard XPath (v.1.0).
   In our extension we can keep the context node in a variable value
   and then with another XPath expression, using this variable
   to select the entry from the dictionary which is needed.

Best,
Alex
Alexander Simov
BulTreeBank Project