   Re: [xml-dev] Re: W3C and Linking - what is the future?

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> XPointer is currently in last call working draft, but from gossip I
> hear that at least two more major drafts are expected before the
> syntax is nailed down. (The latest is that all unqualified scheme
> names will be reserved for the W3C.) Given this, it seems hard to
> believe that XPointer will make final recommendation by December 31.
> If they follow the advertised procedure (which not all groups do) I'd
> be surprised to see a candidate recommendation by the end of the year.

There will be no CR for XPointer (unless the W3C powers that be declare
otherwise); the view is that the previous CR period did the necessary
work, since the new version is a factored rather than a truly revised
spec (modulo the syntax of the element() scheme, which previously was
not a scheme at all).  We expect to go to PR very shortly and to Rec
as fast after that as we can.

These remarks are of course not official, and don't apply to the xpointer()
scheme at all.

The Linking WG has a terminal disease; we aim to get done what we can.
At this point, I don't believe that secrecy serves any purpose.

--
John Cowan                                   jcowan@reutershealth.com
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"