   Re: [xml-dev] WS-I Basic Profile

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> This is likely old news to some of you, but:
> http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2002-10/BasicProfile-1.0-WGD.htm
> [...]
> The front matter is as interesting as the technical content in some
> ways:
> ---------------------------------
> Notice

  [ ... a fairly standard NO WARRANTY disclaimer... ]
  [ ... followed by: ]

> Feedback
>
> By sending email, or otherwise communicating with WS-I, you [...]
> will be deemed to have
> granted to WS-I,the members of WS-I, and other parties that have access
> to your Feedback, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide,
> perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license to use, disclose, copy,
> license, modify, sublicense or otherwise distribute and exploit in any
> manner whatsoever the Feedback you provide regarding the work.
>
> [ ... blah, blah, blah, more of the same ... ]
>
>  If the foregoing is not
> acceptable to you and any company on whose behalf you are acting, please
> do not provide any Feedback.
> ---------------------------------
>
> I guess I shouldn't provide any Feedback, but others may be less
> daunted.

Nah, that second part isn't daunting; it's just the longstanding
community standard SPELLED OUT IN CAPITAL LETTERS and with LOTS
OF LEGALESE.

If you send someone e-mail, then they own it and can do whatever
they wish with it.  That's been the accepted practice on
the Internet for as long as I can remember.

The scary scary disclaimer is probably a CYA device to protect
against people who *aren't* familiar with how the Net works
and who might be inclined to send Feedback and later sue for
intellectual property theft.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com