   Re: [xml-dev] how is xpointer supposed to work?

* Stefano Debenedetti wrote:
>it is very unclear to me how is XPointer information to be
>received by an XPointer-enabled server, and if such a server
>is even supposed to exist, as it seems to me that existing
>browsers keep any info after the crosshatch char # for
>after-resource-retrieval processing and don't send that part
>of the URL to the server, and from what I gaher that happens
>to be conformant to RFC 2396, is that true?

Yes. By default, the Server never becomes aware of the fragment
identifier. There could be means defined someday, e.g. as HTTP
Range request, where you'd have

  Range: XPointer "..."

but it is questionable whether this is useful.

>What am I missing here? Is XPointer supposed to work only if
>different clients become available? (i.e. browsers that process
>XPointer or that send the pointer part to the server)

XPointer is about addressing, not about retrieval.