   Re: [xml-dev] IBM's idea off an XML expert

<Snip>
The "essence" of XML is not that hard to grasp in technical terms, and
the details of the minutiae can be looked up when necessary.
</Snip>

I agree, and would like to add a slight addition: the "essence" of XML
is not that hard to grasp in technical terms to those who have a solid
technology basis. I have seen cases where people are "thrown" into the
XML world without even having a solid background in essentials such as
relational database design, object-oriented techniques, parsing
concepts, transmission protocol concepts, programming languages, etc.
(or even with no background in technology whatsoever!).  I have not seen
the XML certification test, but I truly believe that if one can pass it
without having a solid technology basis then its validity and weight
might be questioned.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Mike Champion wrote:

> On Fri,  3 Jan 2003 15:05:25 -0500, Simon St.Laurent
> <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
>
> > The last time I looked
> > at the questions, it seemed like an odd mix of obvious stuff and
> > minutiae, and reality tends to lurk someplace in the middle.
>
> That's my impression too, and I agree with Ken Holman's assessment as well.
>
> The "essence" of XML is not that hard to grasp in technical terms, and the
> details of the minutiae can be looked up when necessary.  To whatever
> limited extent I could be considered an "XML expert", it is because I
> "grok" what it is good for and not good for (and have some sense of what
> the various related specs such as DOM, XSLT, XQuery, etc. are good for and
> not good for).  It's hard to test for whether someone "groks" XML, and
> conversely someone could have memorized all 5,000 or whatever it is pages
> of the specs and not have a clue as to how to use it effectively in the
> real world.
>
> So, from a technical perspective, I am inclined to doubt that this kind of
> XML certification proves much other than one's ability to read a few books
> and recall the material when tested. I would certainly have to "cram" in
> order to pass the IBM one! (the last time I looked at it a couple of years
> ago).
>
> Whether the HR departments of the world would be impressed by someone's XML
> certification is a question I'm not competent to answer.  I for one one
> much rather hire someone who can hold their own in a discussion of "how
> might we use XMLtechnologies  to solve this problem" than someone who has
> been officially certified as an XML expert.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano