   RE: [xml-dev] Can XML Schemas do this?

>  I'm somewhat new to Relax NG, but reading through it's primer doc it
> appeared that the Order of the Elements was also strictly
> governed by the
> schema (in other words, you can't do this in RelaxNG either).

It's not, although by default it is.  To declare child elements as
unordered, place them in an <interleave> element.

> Which brings
> the question, WHY? Why do the schema languages care about the particular
> order of the XML nodes?

In the case of XML Schema, nested unordered content can play havoc with
determining the validity of an element instance in a content model.  I might
be able to give you an example if it weren't Monday... but it's true, I
swear!

> I can see the advantages of having this as an option
> (i.e. something like <sequence order="fixed"> or something) but to make it
> requirement seems to backwards for most XML usages.

There was an excellent thread on this last week.  Basically, the argument
goes:

a) if order doesn't matter, choose one (because it doesn't matter!)
b) if order does matter, declare the correct order

I'm paraphrasing a),  but I believe there is a circularity to the argument
even when it's more intelligently phrased, which is why I hesitate to
embrace it wholeheartedly. I'm coming around, though, since I can see where
it sometimes make processing must faster and validation easier when there is
a declared fixed order to content.  And supplying fixed order is always easy
for the content generator (I suppose); thus one should do so.

Someone may come along momentarily to give a more literate answer.  Let's
hope.