   Re: [xml-dev] SML (was Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services)

> uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com (Uche Ogbuji) writes:
> >> In fact, the fact that the SOAP community independently came up with
> >> essentially the same profile of XML that the SML-DEV folks did a few
> >> years ago ("Common XML Core") makes me even more convinced that the
> >> "fault" lies more on the XML side than the WS side.
> >
> >And the weight you give to the overwhelming numbers of people who have
> >*not* found they need such a "profile"?  It seems that you choose to
> >give this group negligible weight.
>
> Oh good.  The SML permathread returns.  While I have no fondness for Web
> Services, there is plenty to ponder on the SML side that is perhaps more
> exciting than Uche (or Elliotte) gives credit.

I think you've completely misconstrued my position.  Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I do not dispute that WS folks and SML folks and the Water/ConciseXML have all
found legitimate problems with XML for their purposes.  My point is that they
are so outweighed by those who have found XML quite usable (if inevitably
imperfect) for their own purposes.

So go, be fruitful and multiply your data expression languages.  I won't argue
for anyone to stop.  Just don't try to impose upon the rest of us all this
welter of varying fruit.

The open office file format  - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/librar
y/x-think15/
Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html