   Re: [xml-dev] Usefulness of well-formedness was RE: [xml-dev] SML (was E

From: "Michael Leditschke" <mike@ammd.com.au>

> Rick uses the term "well-formed" as one of his suggested kinds of
> documents, a kind he then suggests should be deprecated. I took
> this to mean well-formed per XML 1.0, which includes
> the constraints on tag structure.

Yes, but the headless XML also has those constraints, so they need not
be at issue.  The issue is that a document does not forceably constrain which
class of parser is required to get its infoset: I think standalone has failed
because it requires a too unrealistic smigeon of work at both ends to make it
reliable.*

Given that we have other schema languages floating around now, if a
DOCTYPE is  specificied, the expectation of a parser should be that it
means the document is not standalone: that the DOCTYPE exists because
it provides entities and defaults an ID information rather than for QA.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

* Anyway, in SAX 2, we can get the http://xml.org/sax/features/is-standalone/ value only after we have started parsing, but we cannot change the value of  http://xml.org/sax/features/validation while parsing. The ship has already set sail.