   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

> Cool.  Sounds to me as if you've put some good thought into requirements for a
> new language: Web Services Content Language (WSCL).

Unfortunately that acronym is already in use, with HP's Web Services
Conversation Language [1].  WSCL (at least as of 14 January 2003) is one
of the two choregraphy proposals being considered by the W3C Web
Services Choreography Working Group (along with Sun's Web Services
Choreography Interface, WSCI [2]) for that Working Group's work.

Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wscl10
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/wsci/

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > But many people would be happy with CSV with angle brackets as long as they got all the powerful off-the-shelf tools as well. <personal-opinion> If most of our users could get the following with CSV or S-expressions (I am such a broken record) I'm not sure they'd stick with XML besides the fact that it has been overhyped to death. I think this list of features would include
> >
> >  * Model Based APIs for in memory representation - CHECK [DOM]
> >  * Stream based APIs for fast processing - CHECK [Pull-based APIs, SAX]
> >  * Grammer languages for specifying valid content - CHECK [DTD, W3C XML Schema]
> >  * Query languages - CHECK [XQuery, XPath]
> >  * Ability to perform regexes against the structure of the content - CHECK  [XPath, XSLT]
> >  * Ability to create fairly human readable serialization - CHECK [XML 1.0 serialization, looks good in IE] </personal-opinion>
>
> Cool.  Sounds to me as if you've put some good thought into requirements for a
> new language: Web Services Content Language (WSCL).
>
> I can't stress enough that I have no problem with this.  I think it would be
> very useful for someone to go on to develop WSCL.  I think it would be very
> laudable for this party to borrow the best ideas of XML.  There is even a
> decent chance that I would give it a try myself, and perhaps like it.
>
> My main point in this thread is that I do not want XML transmogrified into
> WSCL.  I see the two as parallel developments.  And I don't mind at all if
> this parallel is traced back to a fork.
>
> Personally, I think a fork is inevitable, at any rate.  If the
> WS/WXS/XQuery/SML or other folks don't force the issue, but keep flirting on
> the edges of a fork, the XML 1.0 folks might just force the issue themselves.
>
> --
> Uche Ogbuji                                    Fourthought, Inc.
> http://uche.ogbuji.net    http://4Suite.org    http://fourthought.com
> The open office file format  - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/librar
> y/x-think15/
> Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html
> 4Suite Repository Features - https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/devworks/dw-x4su
> ite5-i/
> XML class warfare - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6965

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano