   Re: [xml-dev] SML: Second Try

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:49:38 -0500, Jonathan Robie
<jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> wrote:

> There is no one API for XML, and there are real advantages to several
> common APIs. I don't think we're done with innovation here.

I agree ... why don't you agree that there is no one syntax for XML, and
there are real advantages to several alternatives, and we're not done with
innovation here either?

I should probably put a smiley because some people feel so strongly that
the XML syntax is the rock on which all this is founded, and we really
don't need to go around that track once again. Still, let's just say that I
consider it to be an open question as to which bits of "XML" are truly sine
qua non. We can all probably agree that there is no One True API ... or
Schema language (even the W3C blesses both DTD and XSDL), or query language
(XPath, XQuery, XSLT ...).  We pretty much have to agree that XML got where
it is today by innovatively considering the advantages of subsetting SGML
syntax.  I'm just not clear where the idea comes from that XML 1.x itself
should be immune to the forces that created it and the forces that are
driving the specs surrounding it.

This reminds me a bit of von Clausewitz' maxim, "A conqueror is always a
lover of peace." :-)