   RE: [xml-dev] SML: Second Try

At 10:52 AM -0800 2/5/03, Jeff Lowery wrote:

>If that makes some people unhappy, then the only alternative I see is to
>trim the fat out of XML a la XML Core.  And I know that makes other people
>unhappy.  I don't see a third path, though.

Of course there is, though I see why you might be missing it, since
it's not really a path at all.

3rd Option: Do nothing. Leave XML as it is. It works. It's proven.
It's not perfect, but it's damn good, and hits a really nice middle
point between the needs of many different communities. Don't trim it.
Don't create alternate syntaxes. Just use it.

Bottom line: the cost of creating alternate syntaxes or trimming XML
at this stage vastly outweighs the benefits that would be achieved.
Both these approaches are penny wise and pound foolish at best.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |