   RE: [xml-dev] SGML->XML->? (was Re: [xml-dev] SML: Second Try)

At 8:43 PM +0000 2/6/03, Dave Pawson wrote:
>The design goals for XML are
>    * XML shall be straightforwardly usable over the Internet.
>    * XML shall support a wide variety of applications.
>    * XML shall be compatible with SGML.
>    * It shall be easy to write programs which process XML documents.
>    * The number of optional features in XML is to be kept to the
>absolute minimum, ideally zero.
>    * XML documents should be human-legible and reasonably clear.
>    * The XML design should be prepared quickly.
>    * The design of XML shall be formal and concise.
>    * XML documents shall be easy to create.
>    * Terseness in XML markup is of minimal importance.
>
>Which ones are wrong today?

I don't think any of them are wrong today, but 4 and 5 were not fully
satisfied by the spec that was produced.

>What's missing?

A clear description of the information from the document that a
processor must pass to the client application. Processor behavior was
severely underspecified in XML 1.0. What was specified was almost by
accident.

>Were the goals too broad?

No.

>Or have they been interpreted too many times in too many different ways?

No.

>Is No. 3 out of date?

No.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |