   RE: [xml-dev] SGML->XML->? (was Re: [xml-dev] SML: Second Try)

elharo@metalab.unc.edu (Elliotte Rusty Harold) writes:
>At 8:43 PM +0000 2/6/03, Dave Pawson wrote:
>>The design goals for XML are
>>    * XML shall be straightforwardly usable over the Internet.
>>    * XML shall support a wide variety of applications.
>>    * XML shall be compatible with SGML.
>>    * It shall be easy to write programs which process XML documents.
>>    * The number of optional features in XML is to be kept to the
>>absolute minimum, ideally zero.
>>    * XML documents should be human-legible and reasonably clear.
>>    * The XML design should be prepared quickly.
>>    * The design of XML shall be formal and concise.
>>    * XML documents shall be easy to create.
>>    * Terseness in XML markup is of minimal importance.
>>
>>Which ones are wrong today?
>
>I don't think any of them are wrong today, but 4 and 5 were not fully
>satisfied by the spec that was produced.

4 largely depends on your definition of "easy".  5 is where things
rapidly get aggravating.  A lot of the chaos on point five crept in late
in the process, with standalone and the non-validating parsers can
ignore external subset business.

>>What's missing?
>
>A clear description of the information from the document that a
>processor must pass to the client application. Processor behavior was
>severely underspecified in XML 1.0. What was specified was almost by
>accident.

It certainly would have been nice to have that listed coherently in one
place, yes.

I have to admit that XML 1.0, flaws and all, makes me feel all warm and
fuzzy compared to the specifications that have followed.  It wasn't
perfect, but I suspect it's by far the least dysfunctional of the XML
family of specs.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!