   Re: [xml-dev] parameter-entity references

Marko,

Having struggled with this very point, I might suggest that you look here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#as-PE
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#vc-PEinGroup
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#vc-PEinMarkupDecl

As a consequence of the insertion of a leading and following space, the
parser would treat the second line of your first example as:
<!ENTITY  % cat "c at">

Your second example (besides meaning "ENTITY" for the first line)
violates the balanced parenthesis rule, as does your third example.

-Eric