   Re: [xml-dev] parameter-entity references

><!ENTITY % dog '% cat "c'>
><!ENTITY %dog; at">

Parameter entities are recognised in entity values and expanded
immediately, so there is a syntax error in the first line because the
percent is not followed by a name.

If we replace the % with &#x25; we are left with a string literal in
line two that goes past the end of the entity containing the start
of the literal.  I don't think this is ruled out (as it should be)
by the grammar.  (The XML grammar doesn't have "entity end" markers.)

><!ELEMENT % dog "cat (AAA* ,">

(you mean !ENTITY, right?)

><!ELEMENT %dog; BBB)>

This is "merely" a validity error: the content particle ends in a different
entity from the one it starts in.

><!ELEMENT % dog "#PCDATA)">
><!ELEMENT cat (%dog;>

Similarly for this one.