   RE: [xml-dev] KAVI

Understood.

One further comment regarding open systems and IP.

If OASIS intends to close up the lists, it should
commensurately change all IP policies to match
perfectly those of the W3C, that is, no RAND; only
RF.  Open lists have the advantages that decisions
made with regards to the technology to be spec'd
or standardized have been reviewed prior to incorporation
by the most eyes with the longest possible memory.

Failure of certain groups to widely disseminate
their work in SGML hypertext systems made it possible
for the bogus patents such as the Sun patent on
XML Pointer technology and the Microsoft patent
on stylesheets to make it through the process.
Due diligence is insufficient on the part of the
patenting parties because of the inability or
unwillingness to look deep enough.  A well-informed
public is always to be preferred.

Ultimately these decisions will result in a narrowing
of scope for the organizations that work in more
closed groups.  Niche specifications that may prove
to be innovations will move onto other public lists
such as Yahoo, or behind closed doors with additional
incentive to patent whereever possible any innovation
with some promise of ROI.  Because patent revenues
are lucrative, one must weigh the costs of closure
against incentivizing this already out of control
process.

len

From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]

Thanks - without seeing the note you refer to I would not be equipped to
comment further.