   RE: [xml-dev] headers (was ERH on Web Services

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] headers (was ERH on Web Services
  • From: "Don Box" <dbox@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 10:31:55 -0800

Simon,

Most of the SOAP spec is dedicated to the processing model of the "mashed header/body" of a SOAP envelope. Check out part 1 of the current SOAP/1.2 spec for more details.

FWIW, SOAP headers were introduced back in the 1990's to allow for orthogonal extensibility over app-specific payloads. As for SOAP vs. MIME vs. HTTP headers, SOAP tries to generalize the concept of an intermediary to allow more flexibility in forming a message path.  I believe this is a non-goal for MIME and rather is left for HTTP, SMTP, etc. to invent for themselves.

DB