   Horse-and-buggy Text Markup Language (Was: SML: Second Try)

In a message dated 10/02/2003 18:18:16 GMT Standard Time, clbullar@ingr.com writes:

HTML is a naive design from childlike
minds.

Len,

Care to hazard a one-liner as to the characteristics of the minds of those who created XHTML? :)

As long as one stays in the

sandbox, it works remarkably well.

Yup.

Then the adults come along and spoil
Sunday's picnic with Monday morning's
obligations.

I guess that partly explains my seemingly shizophrenic attitude to HTML/XHTML.

HTML "works". So leave it alone.

XHTML - Hm what do we need it for? If we want "Monday morning's obligations" (assuming my metaphor means the same as yours) why use XHTML at all?

If you want to innovate rather
than simply reappropriate,
in the spirit of James Brooks and
the Tracy Ullman show, "disallow
notes from the network executives,
and take no prisoners".  Some
go on to say... "and the horse
they rode in on" but don't go that
far.  You may need the horse later
for plowing or a quick getaway.
Stay on good terms with the horse.

So it can pull the Horse-and-buggy Text Markup Language along the Information Superhighway? :)

Andrew Watt
XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement
yesterday's technology tomorrow