   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 04:40:01PM +0000, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> And on top of that sat the actual application protocols; the SEs are not
> protocols themselves, they are more like protocol toolkits. More like the
> convention in most IETF protocols of single line commands and three-digit
> response codes, found within SMTP and POP3 and others. But they allow the
> actual applications to be built on top of something higher-level than raw TCP
> or UDP!

Right, I follow.  I suggest that there's not a whole lot of value to
that model, since two parties over the Internet need to agree on
an application protocol in order to get anything done without a priori
agreement; how that protocol was was designed, or what its constituent
SEs may be, is irrelevant.

<ObXML/>

MB