   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 04:03:09PM +0000, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> No, they don't, despite both being protocols used to fetch stuff. Neither do
> HTTP, LDAP, ODBC, IMAP, POP3, finger, ftp, tftp, fsp, etc. interoperate; yet
> all of them are based around the concept of fetching something. They were all
> designed to be too specific, trying to limit their horizons in the hope of
> spending less effort on design, but that cost was paid later in the effort of
> expanding the design...

Not that I agree, but your point is what?  That we need a generic "fetch
stuff" layer 6 protocol?

The problem with that - if that is indeed what you mean - is that
layer 6 isn't where you define "fetch stuff"; that's for layer 7.

So what's needed is not a common layer 6 protocol on which new "fetch
stuff" protocols can be constructed, but a generic layer 7 protocol that
can provide a network interface to those protocols.

MB