   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

On Monday 10 February 2003 15:53, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:52:38PM +0000, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> > But I'd far rather we just came up with a proper protocol and then based
> > HTTP on top of *that* :-)
>
> DNS was based on a "proper protocol", ONC RPC.  What did that buy it?

No it wasn't! DNS is straight on top of UDP.

> NFS, which is also based on ONC, does not interoperate with DNS in any
> way whatsoever.

No, they don't, despite both being protocols used to fetch stuff. Neither do
HTTP, LDAP, ODBC, IMAP, POP3, finger, ftp, tftp, fsp, etc. interoperate; yet
all of them are based around the concept of fetching something. They were all
designed to be too specific, trying to limit their horizons in the hope of
spending less effort on design, but that cost was paid later in the effort of
expanding the design...

> MB

ABS

--