   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:52:38PM +0000, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> But I'd far rather we just came up with a proper protocol and then based HTTP
> on top of *that* :-)

DNS was based on a "proper protocol", ONC RPC.  What did that buy it?
NFS, which is also based on ONC, does not interoperate with DNS in any
way whatsoever.  So what's the use, when the cost - that you can no
longer design your application protocol with just your application's
needs in mind - is so enormous?

There is *VERY* little value in standardizing on a layer 6 protocol
(note to Rich; BEEP is layer 5/6, not layer 7), even if it's done well
like BEEP.

MB