   RE: [xml-dev] patent application (MSFT)

Thanks Lauren.  Those who are very concerned
may wish to explore how one submits to the
site, the form of the submission, what documentation
is required, and so on.

I consider a service such as this to be a positive
step for the web, indeed the world community given
the problems of the USPTO.  I think one can assume
that the patent officers try hard to do good work,
and as a friend of mine there explained to me, "we
are understaffed and overwhelmed".  Perhaps, it is
also the case that those submitting patents will
benefit from this in their own due diligence.

<obligatory-cliche>
Not to be too cliched, but it is really the case
that an informed and active public community is
the key to liberty.  Then it is a matter of the
empowering tools of expression with an understanding
that the same tools with which we express ourselves
are the mirrors in which we are watched.  I find in these
times, I am thinking of that more and more.
</obligatory-cliche>

len