   Re: [xml-dev] patent application (MSFT)

35 U.S.C. 301. Citation of prior art.
Any person at any time may cite to the Office in writing prior
art consisting of patents or printed publications which that person
believes to have a bearing on the patentability of any claim of a
particular patent. If the person explains in writing the pertinency
and manner of applying such prior art to at least one claim of the
patent, the citation of such prior art and the explanation thereof
will become a part of the official file of the patent. At the written
request of the person citing the prior art, his or her identity will be
excluded from the patent file and kept confidential.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/mpep_e8_2200.pdf