   Xalan 2,4,1 URIResolver problems with JDK 1.4.1

I tried to run an XSLT transform using the latest Xalan 2.4.1 release and the
new JDK 1.4.1

Ran into some interesting issues.

I know that JDK 1.4.1 packages an older version of Xalan with the distribution
(why is another question).  So I placed the appropriate Xalan jars from the
2.4.1 release into the <java home>/jre/lib/endorsed directory.

But Xalan kept telling me it couldn't find the class I had specified in the
-URIRESOLVER command line definition.  Worked fine under JDK 1.3.1.
Huh?

I finally figured out that I needed to put the jar file that contains my
URIResolver implementation class in the endorsed directory as well.

Now this sucks big time.  My URIResolver class is in the com.chaeron.xsl
package, and so is not overriding anything that the JDK is using, and so
should not have to be placed in the endorsed directory.

It seems from the Xalan 2.4.1 source, it just does a Class.forName() method
invocation with only the URIResolver class name passed in.  I'm guessing that
the 1.4.1 JDK only checks the bootclasspath and thus endorsed directory for
classes, and does not try to load anything from the normal classpath.

Can anyone verify this theory as being correct?

I suppse the Xalan folks could fix the issue by looking up the correct
classloader....but they really shouldn't have too.  What was Sun thinking when
they came up with this aberration called "endorsed classes"?

<sheesh>

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com