   Picking the Standard (WAS RE: [xml-dev] New tool for handling XML in Jav

We swapped that birthright for cheap parsers,
cheap tools and markup ubiquity.  The programmers
run the show now.  Game set and match.

But the document guys are still in there swinging.

Bosak is quoted as saying that XML still requires
the same sweathog work as it ever did, pounding
out standards for everyone to use.  Ok, but which
organization rationalizes the choices? Cull or
copy, or say to heck with it and write one for
any particular closed system, but open systems?
Wanta go mad?  Try to figure out which *standard*
to use for addresses and postal codes.  The
easier the example, the more groups have stepped
up to standardize it.  The harder the example,
the fewer the choices.

And so it goes.

len

From: Sean McGrath [mailto:sean.mcgrath@propylon.com]

I'm pretty confident that those of us who see XML as markup - as
*documents* - are in a minority. Such is life. But we were the minority who worked on
creating the freaking think in the first place.

Sigh. XML is ceasing to be a technology with which I feel familiar or drawn to.