   Re: [xml-dev] Remembering the original XML vision

Jon's paper was, and remains, an excellent bit of evangelism.  I'm not
sure, however, that it contradicts Sean's point regarding "object
serialization notion" in any way, though.  There's no necessary conflict
between a markup view of information and exchanging structured data
between various sources.

That conflict comes later, as various groups apparently obsessed with
serialization inflict their viewpoint on XML-related specifications.
Reading this article as endorsing that later work seems like a large
stretch to me.