   Remembering the original XML vision

At 12:25 PM 2/13/2003 +0000, Sean McGrath wrote:
>This makes perfect sense in an object world view but is a source of
>dispair for those
>of us who see XML as a markup language not an object serialisation notation.

Now that we are celebrating the fifth anniversary of XML [1], it may be
time to re-read one of the seminal papers on XML, " [2].

XML was always supposed to work well both for structured documents and
serializing structured data from various sources. Any view of XML that
doesn't allow for both, and despairs that other people may be using XML
differently than you are, misses the original vision.

Jonathan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/02/xml-at-5.html
[2] http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/sun-info/standards/xml/why/xmlapps.htm