   How to redesign W3C XML Schema (Was: Remembering the original XML vision

In a message dated 15/02/2003 16:03:33 GMT Standard Time, jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com writes:

A smaller, simpler W3C XML Schema, with a careful redesign
that allows incompatibilities with W3C XML Schema 1.0, would be a very good
thing.

Jonathan,

This is a welcome comment. As you likely recall not a few on this list would have liked to see (either at the time or in retrospect) the redesign carried out before version 1.0 of W3C XML Schema was issued.

Would you also view the layering/modularisation of XML schema-related capabilities as being equally desirable? To get rid of the phenomenon that I have ... perhaps less than tactfully ... referred to as "schema fascism" and fully open up W3C specifications for use with Relax NG and Schematron.

It seems to me that one of the obvious demerits of the XML family of technologies on XML's fifth birthday is that the layering of specifications is far from clean.

Andrew Watt
XHTML 2.0 - The W3C leading the Web to its full potential - to implement yesterday's technology tomorrow.