   RE: [xml-dev] Anyone wanna speculate about what this means?

> - Anyone want to speculate on why  one might think that
> XQuery will be
> vastly better than these other technologies for XML
> transformations, lossy
> or otherwise?

Some people will use XQuery for exactly the same kinds of transformation
jobs that you can use XSLT for, but it won't give them any benefits at
all in those areas, other than a saving in keystrokes. (Ideal for users
without strong typing?) And perhaps a more SQL-like look and feel, if
that's what turns you on.

XQuery will definitely give benefits, though, when searching large
indexed databases. I think there are sound technical reasons why XQuery
is more amenable to that kind of optimization than XSLT is: and in any
case, I don't see anyone trying to produce an XSLT implementation that
can handle this scenario.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com