   Re: [xml-dev] Unicode and XML (was Re: [xml-dev] Remembering the origina

From: "Daniel Veillard" <veillard@redhat.com>

> In order to try to turn a useless post into an useful one, did someone
> tried to implement the character normalization checking of XML-1.1 ?
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec2.13

We normalize data coming in (open, paste) to our editor. It makes characters
easy to render.

>  I looked at the ICU sample code a few months ago and this simply scared
> me mostly due to my perception of that code complexity and runtime cost.

I find ICU quite good. But you cannot use it as-is: you have to derive your
own subset (e.g. your own JAR) with just the things you need: get rid of
calendars, collations, rich text and so on.

For the Java API, they tend to be too String-oriented:  people may find it
appropriate to provide alternative versions of some key methods which
work on StringBuffers.

On the subject of XML 1.1, --and this may be out of date now-- it is interesting
that Xerces put out an almost useless implementation of XML 1.1: you had to
select it by program code, rather than reading the XML header.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe