   Re: [xml-dev] Remembering the original XML vision

Gavin Thomas Nicol writes:

 > This is part of it, but conversion tools from Word/Frame/etc. have
 > existed for a fairly long time... as have forms-based authoring
 > solutions.

The former have not been all that successful anywhere I've seen them
used, despite the fact that I used to work at a company that made one
of them.  Using Word styles is tempting up front, but the conversion
systems generally fall apart under heavy use (if they even survive the
initial testing).  Perhaps they'd be OK for a very small operation
with one or two writers and a lot of patience.

I did see one non-profit project succeed in using the built-in SGML
support in WordPerfect for a large authoring team, but that was as
close as I've seen anyone come.

All the best,

David

--