   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 12:13 pm, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >DO namespaces help?  Should the editor
> >be namespace-aware?
>
> I'm not aware of too many cases where namespaces matter in the creation
> of marked-up information.  The only case I can think of where they're
> worth the effort is in mixing various W3C vocabularies for browsers -
> XHTML, SVG, SMIL, MathML, etc.

This is why I cannot see any reason in making them "special" from a syntax
perspective. Ultimately, they solve few problems that can't be solved by a
variety of means, and choosing namespaces as the mechanism effectively is a
form of tight-binding to special keys (URI's).