   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

At 04:35 PM 2/18/2003 -0500, Hugh Wallis wrote:
>Yes, the problem is the fidelity. There is a spectrum of content and the way
>people approach content, from the extremely visual, through to the highly
>structured (and possibly abstract). People who approach documents visually,
>will have a very hard time authoring using styles... they'll want to fiddle
>with fonts instead (how many documents have you seen where every style was
>Normal?).

People associate the layout with the meaning. If people don't want tags to
show, I think that a user interface would have to ensure that the only way
a user could get things to display properly would be to create the right
XML structures. In other words, allow "styles", which are a visual analog
to the XML elements being used, but don't allow direct use of fonts.

But that's only a start....

Jonathan