   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

/ Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> was heard to say:
| FWIW, after insisting that I use Microsoft Word, a publisher is also
| telling me I have to make sure, by hand, that I am following all the
| guidelines that an XML editor would have enforced for me....and I've
| done a *lot* of cutting and pasting to create this document from
| various other things I had written....

If I was you, I'd write the darn thing in XML and then run it through
some tool to produce Word. Arbortext's Epic product would be ideal, I
think.[*]

But any publisher that tried to coerce me into using Word would be
finding another author anyway (I couldn't be forced) so maybe I'm a
little farther out on the markup geek spectrum than others.

As for the general question of publishing and XML (I think I missed
the very beginning of this thread), I'm fairly happy. I'd like
exclusions back. I /sometimes/ think I want markup minimization but
then I come to my senses.

I'm sorry the tool/development focus is so intensely focused on
applications that involve slurping content out of databases, coding it
up in messages, firing it across the web, and then slamming it back
into databases. But, hey, everyone has to make a living.

XML offers the promise of so much more to me for the sort of richly
structured mixed content that I think about when I think of XML. But
we need to work through a few more hard problems (most of them are TAG
issues already, I think, and I really hope to be able to make progress
on them over the next two years) and then build some better tools.

I want richly structured annotations, robust linking, the features of
a CMS operating in the loosely coupled world of the web, some sort of
information mapping infrastructure, better metadata and tools to help
authors create and maintain it, and probably a whole raft of other
things :-)

I sometimes feel like I'm carrying a lot of baggage around that's not
very useful for the applications I have in mind, but I guess my
counterpart at the other end of the spectrum would point out that he's
carrying mixed content and namespaces around for me so who am I to
complain?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[*] I used to work for them, so I may not be entirely unbiased.

- --
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | I'm NOT in denial!
XML Standards Architect |
Web Tech. and Standards |