   Re: [xml-dev] Google as Big Brother

Joshua Allen wrote:
>>Not specious at all. In the context of Web Services, the two dominant
>>models are decentralized indexes (Google and Yahoo) or centralized
>>repositories (UDDI registry-in-the-sky). If I've ever said anything
>
> good
>
> Was this a typo?  In what way is Google decentralized?  And would you
> say that DNS is "centralized", since UDDI is?

Yes, DNS is centralized. Thus the ICANN mess.

I don't know of a way to decentralize DNS because of Zooko's triangle.
The proposals I've heard are quite heavyweight. Nevertheless, I think it
is pretty clear that having one central point of failure for the
Internet is "enough". A second one would have to add value comparable to
the domain name system and UDDI demonstrably doesn't.

  Paul Prescod