   RE: [xml-dev] Google as Big Brother

That was two thoughts in the same paragraph.
My apologies for fast typing over clear text.

Google harvests and does not make it clear
what they are doing with what they are harvesting.
They aren't the only ones but that aside, given
their usage numbers, one should pay attention to
that.   Crank or not, the guy brings up a topic
worthy of attention.

Spybots are just another bloody nuisance in the
long list of bloody nuisances made possible by
keeping the architecture as simple as possible
so it will be freely implementable yet
not anticipating problems that any observer
of bonobos in the wild would anticipate. People are
going to have to become aware that the web and
the Internet are systems deliberately made loose
and kept just beyond the law because as of yet,
no one quite knows what to legalize and what
to make illegal, and worse, how to achieve it,
or who should achieve it.

The deep linking issue is a good example.  The
architecture maven can tell them how to achieve
policy but not what policy to achieve.  The
problems of the American DOJ are a deeper problem
of the second kind.

IMO, we need laws (yes, laws) that require
a service provider of any kind to publicly disseminate the
ways in which they are collecting and reusing
information and to whome they disseminate it.
If that means they have to expose trade secrets about
their algorithms; so be it.  Let them patent them.

When I worked in government installations,
almost every phone had a sticker on
it that said, "Use is consent to monitoring".
Service providers loathe to tell the customer
facts about the use of the web that would
scare them away, but the privacy issues are
surfacing anyway.  Keep in mind, the same guy
that provided Reagan his "plausible deniability"
and the "creative solutions for Iran/Contra"
that got him convicted of perjury now runs
the Total Information Awareness program for
DARPA.  And he loves XML. Whether we like it
or not, we are all making his job easier.
So let's at least stay honest about that.

Web sites that offer services free or otherwise
that harvest information should be required to
declare their terms of use.

len