   Re: [xml-dev] Open Source or Else

[Bullard, Claude L (Len]

> Sometimes the trend reverses:  freeware
> becomes cheapware.  An example: I discovered
> the CoolEdit2000 software package for
> mastering my digital recordings at home.
> Originally, it was a dorky DOS-based
> FFT editor.  Today, it is a plug-in
> compatible bundle of two-track digital
> editing tools that are simply killer.
>
> It is marvelous.  $69 of software replaces
> 25 to 35k worth of hardware, a 3 to 5 hundred
> dollar trip to a mastering company, and so
> on.

I use CE and Len, you are right on, it is marvellous. I do not mind paying
for a significant upgrade for low-cost superb software like this.  Their
authors deserve support.  There  are a few others - EditPlus, the text
editor, is another one of my favorite cheapware programs.

The value really shows up when I cannot picture myself creating a comparable
program myself - either it would take much too much time, or too much
specialized knowledge.

It works if the price stays low and the value fair, but once it rises too
high, people stop buying (or at least I do).

Cheers,

Tom P