   Re: [xml-dev] Open Source or Else

From: "Shawn Parker" <sparker@socket.net>

> Not only that, but US companies are beginning to make the transition to
> open-source and alternatives to Windows due to the economic crunch.
> Here in Missouri, the economic status is dismal.  Our company is looking
> to go completely Linux by 05, as are many educational systems due to
> budget cuts.  Government offices are also evaluating the switch.

We moved our development environment to be platform-neutral between Windows
and Linux (Java, Eclipse, plus a licensed Windows source-code control system runnable
under  WINE) with almost no pain or effort.  If MS does something nasty with
prices or licenses for future OS, we don't care.

Open Source is quite nice if it gives us viable alternatives, but it is great when it makes
it painless to switch over, or lets us switch to-and-fro year-by-year
depending on pricing, quality and efficiency issues.  The less lock-in the better.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe