   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

Title: Message

 > Isn't the problem there the phone numbers which validate and which don't work? :)

There are web sites that hold very strange data for me, because they insist that my phone number has to be 10 digits and my address has to have a two-letter "state" with a limited range of values.

Yesterday I used a web site that demanded I enter two phone numbers, that had to be different. So I invented one of them.

I've always been sceptical about validation. It encourages people to enter incorrect data in order to get it past incorrect rules. It's one of the things that gives computers a reputation for being inflexible.

Michael Kay

(PS: XML Schema Part 0 shows the problem. It defines a type UKAddress, which demands that all UK addresses have a "city" component. But most people in the UK don't live in cities. So we just have to pretend that we do, because that's what the computer requires.)