   RE: [xml-dev] RE: Open Source or Else

True, but I am trying to point out that
Open Source Or Else is not that interesting
a dichotomy, and that all small companies are
not dependent on it to get a good business
started.  Actually, economics of licenses
aside, it is a bad idea for small companies
to go that way exclusively.  Good, bad, or
indifferent, if it is not on the Windows
platform, I ignore it and I think that is
the case for a very large percentage of the
market that is not in the server business
or some other area that doesn't mind being
closer to the metal.  The point is that
open source is just another option for getting
a code base, true, one that if you have the
chops, you can dig deep and fix things, but
otherwise, it is the price break and performance
that are attractive.   This is also true
of CoolEdit, Guitar Pro, $299 studios mics
and so on.

Developers and start ups have
to weigh the advantages of being on The
Standard Platform (what MS Windows is by
practical default), or trying to get a price
break in the operating system or development
tools, but not having a large market.  That
is suicide.   What they need is to find a
niche where their software can provide
an undeniable advantage in performance
for a sustainable cost.  Developers for
CoolEdit, Guitar Pro, Spazz3D and so on
show how that is possible without ever
touching the subject of Open Source Or Else.

len