   RE: [xml-dev] The J2ME pseudo-XML botch

Tim,

Following paragraph from the proposed J2ME Web Services spec explains why
they violated the XML spe.  While I might disagree with their solution to
the problem described below, I think their solution is understandable at
least.

http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Redirect/27345207/584747937728280769936
0338623280529334647200535052869333232460841471293863369027272288602354102902
80772861345192841085902786058473206-6381/j2me_web_services-1_0-prd-spec.pdf

--

The reasoning for this change of behavior on the J2ME platform is clearly
described in the XML Specification Section 5.2 (Using XML Processors). When

In favor of predictability, this specification has chosen to explicitly
disallow DTD references in XML data processed by its non-validating parsers.
The goal is to avoid unexpected and hard-to-find application errors when the
same XML data is used between a J2SE JAXP application and a J2ME JAXP
application.

--

I think it is best to talk them into considering other solutions that
conform to the XML spec.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse