   Re: [xml-dev] The J2ME pseudo-XML botch

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:53:00PM -0500, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> > I understand the proposed XML parsing facility in J2ME accepts not XML
> > but a nonstandard subset which does not allow for the DOCTYPE
> > declaration.
>
> Hasn't it been the case since 16th November 1999 that there is an "XML"
> language which "doesn't allow for the DOCTYPE declaration"?
>
> It's called XPath.

  Totally different. XPath operate on the XPath data model of a document,
which is the *result* of parsing. Actually XPath manandates to fetch and
parse the DTD (when present) for ID detection and attribute defaulting.
XPath will not generate error on well-formed (per XML 1.0 spec) documents.
I think your attempt at a counter-example is really not convincing :-)

  However attempting to use XPath on a document breaking Namespace in XML
may result on an error while it's theorically conformant to bare XML-1.0
So there have been some subsetting in the past, but the impact on the
set of existing document has in effect been null because of the xml reserved
prefix provision in XML-1.0 (that apparently some tools are violating).

  The kind of interop problem likely to happen due to J2ME decision
is really orders of magnitude larger than the XML Namespace induced
subsetting, heck it won't even allow to parse correct XHTML which
requires the DOCTYPE presence, or any DocBook instance which always
carry the DOCTYPE for validation and entities, or XML Catalogs, I stop
the list there, that parser is simply not an XML parser...

Daniel