   Re: [xml-dev] The J2ME pseudo-XML botch

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:10:05 -0500, Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
wrote:

> The kind of interop problem likely to happen due to J2ME decision
> is really orders of magnitude larger than the XML Namespace induced
> subsetting, heck it won't even allow to parse correct XHTML which
> requires the DOCTYPE presence,

Are you (and Elliotte Harold?) saying that if the J2ME folks were to change
the spec and allow DOCTYPE declarations, but not implement all the
productions required to process an internal subset, then the J2ME "XML"
processor would be much more suitable even if it is not a fully conformant
XML 1.x implementation?  I'll guess that they would find that a
constructive suggestion.  It would seem to meet their needs for a minimal
footprint while meeting the community's need to process "real" XML
documents on J2ME environments.  They were worried about problems where
failing to choke on DOCTYPE declarations would raise expectations that
entities are declared, default attribute values set, and so on, but (on
reflection, wearing my potential J2ME user hat) I would prefer that to
rejecting all XHTML documents!