   Re: [xml-dev] The waterfall model lives? (was Re: [xml-dev] The subsetti

 From: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>

> In practice, I think that's true, but I don't think there's anything
> in the SAX spec that requires it. I don't see why you couldn't set
> http://xml.org/sax/features/validation (Or
> http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities and
> http://xml.org/sax/features/external-parameter-entities) some time
> after the XML declaration has been read but before the root element
> or perhaps the DOCTYPE declaration has been read, perhaps in
> startDocument() or setDocumentLocator().

I agree that it would be better if SAX allowed features to be set after reading
the XML header, especially if any extra pseudo-attributes are put in
(no flames please).

But the http://xml.org/sax/features/validation  cannot be changed during parsing.
See the last paragraph of    SAX2 Standard Feature Flags  at
http://www.saxproject.org/apidoc/org/xml/sax/package-summary.html

"Unless otherwise specified here, implementations may support changing current values of
these standard feature flags, but not while parsing. "

which is also commented on in Brownell's O'Reilly book SAX2 at page 87

Of course, there is an "is-standalone" flag, which may allow some kinds of hacking
around the problem.  Am I completely off-track here: is there some workaround
I am missing?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe